So here’s the scoop: there’s been quite the buzz on social media this week about Tyler Perry supposedly buying BET. But let’s be clear, as of right now, that’s all talk and no action.
So, what happened?
Here’s how these things usually go down. A piece of news gains traction, maybe from a blog or a big social media account, especially on platforms like Instagram. But, if that news doesn’t hold up, reeling it back in is a real challenge. Now, let’s break down what we actually know about this whole Tyler Perry and BET situation.
Tyler Perry and the BET Situation: The Lowdown
- Tyler Perry’s got a 25% slice of BET thanks to a production deal he had with Paramount back in 2019, as per Bloomberg.
- Just a few months back, sources like The Wall Street Journal hinted that Perry had his eye on a bigger piece of the pie, looking to turn his 25% into a majority stake.
- However, even if he buys more, it doesn’t mean he’d be the sole “owner” of BET. That’s not how corporations play the game. But, it could give him the keys to drive the media giant.
- A curveball came in the form of other big names in the Black business and entertainment world, such as Shaq and Byron Allen, who, according to Bloomberg last month, also want a shot at controlling BET.
- The first to ring the bell that Perry had sealed the deal with BET was The Streamr, an online news outlet. That’s what sparked all this chatter about Perry owning BET. But, they later pulled the plug on that report.
- Since then, it’s been crickets. No official announcement or word on Perry’s continued interest in BET.
So, here’s the takeaway: Perry hasn’t purchased BET, but reports over the past few months suggest he’s got his sights set on it. While it’s totally possible Perry might grab a controlling stake, it hasn’t happened yet — and hey, it might not happen at all. So, we’ll just have to wait and see.